Dear sponsors/donors and well wishers of SevaChildren Norway!
The world continues to combat the Coronavirus Pandemic. Though the rigorous lockdowns imposed initially in India have been lifted, there are still lots of restrictions people have to abide with in order to prevent the infections. At Ashagram Orphanage too, the works we have taken up with support from GlobalGiving, viz. construction of inner safety wall, provision of safe drinking water, and provision of bigger kitchen space, couldn’t go at much rapid way that we would have liked to move.
The management of Ashagram Orphanage - located at Pathakotte Village near Hosur in Tamilnadu, India - has since the start of this project been prepared for its re-opening with new facilities and new protective safety safeguards. During the reporting period children who used to live here have all been shifted temporarily to our other Orphanage viz. Ashanilaya located at Bangalore. Most of the orphan children having single parent or close relatives, have been sent to stay with them.
The Health Care Infrastructure System in India is so bad, and so overburdened that, it would be extremely difficult for us, running on very low resources, to provide adequate health care protection to all the children should any one of them get infected. Hence, only those children who have absolutely no close relative, are being taken care of at Ashanilaya. And they will be shifted to Ashagram Orphanage as soon as the infrastructure facilities that are being created, are ready.
We shall in this progress report take you on a small journey as to what has been completed and what is still remaining based on our original plans for this project!
- We shall in this progress report take you on a small journey as to what has been completed and what is still remaining based on our original plans for this project!
- In order to prepare the Orphanage for the coming challenges when children will live there, we have also:
- Leveled the ground around the building by blasting and removing rocks.
- Planted around 500 different varieties of fruit trees to ensure sustainable income for the Orphanage.
- Secured life-long free electricity from the Government for our borewell for the purpose of drinking water as well as for irrigation purpose.
- There was no proper road to our Orphanage building within the Orphanage campus. We have made a new road and planted trees on both sides of this road.
- Leveled the ground by blasting rocks and removing mud, in order to make playgrounds for the orphanage children.
There is still lot of work to be done to ensure that the Orphanage children have a safe, healthy and enjoyable environment.
We have utilized for the above works the funds collected earlier in the best possible way for you as a donor. We thank you all for your belief in SevaChildren Norway and the work we are doing for children in India.